With a hint of cardamom, this healthy Protein Chia Pudding is a fabulous way to start off your morning, refuel during the day or become your final treat for the evening.
If you're expecting a very sweet treat, you'll want to add a teaspoon or two of extra honey or maple syrup to my recipe. Otherwise, keep this pudding on the healthier side by enjoying it with the natural sweetness of diced mango, cherries, bananas or your other favorite fruit.
What Ingredients are in Protein Chia Pudding?
- Chia seeds
- Collagen protein powder (unflavored)
- Rice, almond or any alternative milk
- Plain greek yogurt
- Maple syrup or honey
- Diced mangoes (or other fruit)
What are Chia Seeds?
Chia seeds come from the desert plant Salvia hispanica, a flowering plant in the mint family which originated in Southern Mexico and Central America. They are very tiny seeds but offer an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acid. They also are a good source of fiber and minerals and contain a little protein.
They can be sprinkled raw on a number of dishes or added to water or other liquid, which creates an interesting gelatinous texture, at which point they are great for adding to smoothies or creating a "pudding."
What is Collagen Protein Powder?
A third of the protein in your body is made up of collagen. Collagen protein comes from animal sources. I usually buy Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides that come from a grass-fed source of bovine hide.
One of the main reasons I like collagen protein powder is that I can typically find it unflavored and is easier to digest than whey protein powders.
Collagen protein will help you maintain healthy joints and skin elasticity, which tends to break down as you age.
How do I Make Protein Chia Pudding?
Pour alternative milk in a small mason jar. Add chia seeds, protein powder, greek yogurt, cardamom and honey. Stir vigorously with a fork or put a tight lid on the jar and shake. Refrigerate for 30-45 minutes or until the seeds have a chance to gel. If you don't mind a more "jelly-like" consistency, you can add a teaspoon or two more chia seeds for a thicker pudding. The recipe as written is thick enough to spoon into your mouth but light enough to drink.
Protein Chia Pudding
- 1 ½ tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon collagen protein
- ½ cup almond milk or other alternative milk
- ¼ cup plain greek yogurt
- ⅛ teaspoon cardamon
- 1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup
- ½ cup diced mangoes or other fruit
- Pour almond milk in small mason jar or individual container.
- Add chia seeds, protein powder, greek yogurt, cardamon and honey. Stir vigorously with a fork or put a tight lid on the jar and shake. Refrigerate for 30-45 minutes until the seeds have a chance to gel.