Crisp and satisfying, this Avocado Chickpea Salad just might become a staple in your weekly lunch or dinner menu. It's a great option to use up some of those veggies that might be growing in your garden.
What Ingredients Do I Need to Make Avocado Chickpea Salad?
- Lettuce: This recipe calls for butter lettuce, but you could substitute another mild, crisp lettuce in its place.
- Frozen peas: If you run frozen peas under cold water and drain them, they will taste fresh and perfect for this salad. Certainly, you could substitute garden-fresh peas if you have them on hand.
- Chickpeas: Sometimes called garbanzo beans, chickpeas will pack a little protein into your salad and are perfect for Mediterranean cooking.
- Avocados: Look for avocados that are ripe but not too soft. The ones that I used for my pictures were just a little on the soft side.
- Cherry tomatoes: Hopefully you have some of these sweet and juicy tomatoes growing in your garden. They add a nice pop of color and flavor.
- Salami: If you get an authentic Italian variety of salami, your salad will be more flavorful.
- More veggies: diced red bell pepper, red onion and english cucumber make this a wonderful chopped salad.
- Feta cheese: Feta is a stronger cheese, but not overpowering. Just a perfect addition to add some extra umami to this scrumptious salad.
- Dressing Ingredients: extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, minced herbs, salt and sugar.
How do I make Avocado Chickpea Salad?
Begin by chopping some fresh basil and mixing it in with your other dressing ingredients. To help incorporate all the minced onion and basil, process the dressing in a blender or food processor for 20-30 seconds.
Rinse and drain a can of garbanzo beans and rinse and drain the peas. Set those aside while you chop up the rest of your vegetable ingredients. Delicate lettuces like butter lettuce should be torn instead, so that it doesn't wilt easily. Toss all the vegetable salad ingredients together.
Slice the salami in half. Crumble up your feta cheese if it's clumped together. Add the salami and cheese to the salad.
Just before serving pour the dressing over your salad and toss again.
Avocado Chickpea Salad
- 1 head of butter lettuce torn into small pieces
- 2 avocados diced
- 1 ½ cup frozen peas run under water and drain
- 1 can chick peas rinsed and drained
- 1 container cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 20-30 slices of salami sliced in half
- 1 diced red pepper
- ½ large red onion diced
- 1 english cucumber diced
- 1 ½ cups feta cheese
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- ½ tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Mix dressing ingredients and then chill while assembling the rest of the salad.
Leave a Reply